CDC Guidelines and Recommendations
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is the lead federal agency responsible for promoting oral health through public health interventions. CDC.gov is an important source for credible health information and is the official Web site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Following are the CDC guidelines and recommendations for:
Community Prevention Programs
Promoting Oral Health: Interventions for Preventing Dental Caries, Oral and Pharyngeal Cancers, and Sports-related Craniofacial Injuries: A Report on the Recommendations of the Task Force on Community Preventive Services. MMWR 2001;50(RR–21):1–13.
- Full Report
Truman BI, Gooch BF, Evans CA Jr. (Eds.). The Guide to Community Preventive Services: Interventions to prevent dental caries, oral and pharyngeal cancers, and sports-related craniofacial injuries. Am J Prev Med 2002;23(1 Supp). View full text in several PDF documents.*
- Recommendations for Using Fluoride to Prevent and Control Dental Caries in the United States. MMWR 2001;50(RR-14):1–42. Also available as a PDF file (373K).
- Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings, 2003. MMWR, December 19, 2003:52(RR–17),
- Preventing and Controlling Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer — Recommendations from a National Strategic Planning Conference. MMWR 1998;47(RR–14).
School-Based Dental Sealant Programs
- Gooch BF, Griffin SO, Gray SK, Kohn WG, Rozier RG, Siegal M, Fontana M, Brunson D, Carter N, Curtis DK, Donly KJ, Haering H, Hill LF, Hinson HP, Kumar J, Lampiris L, Mallatt M, Meyer DM, Miller WR, Sanzi-Schaedel SM, Simonson R, Truman BI, Zero DT. Preventing dental caries through school-based sealant programs: Updated recommendations and reviews of evidence. J Am Dent Assn 2009;140(11):1356–1365. View full text.*
- Engineering and Administrative Recommendations for Water Fluoridation, 1995. MMWR 1995;44(RR-13):1–40. Also available as a PDF file (338K).
This information was obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at: http://www.cdc.gov/OralHealth/guidelines.htm.